Global, Local, and Personal Color.
Learning about color is a lifetime journey.
After years of splitting my time between architecture and art, I’m now taking the time to focus on sharing 21st Century Color concepts with artists, designers and educators.
I started my explorations over 40 years ago, and I’ve been guiding fellow color explorers for over 20 years. I’m thrilled to share my experiences and discoveries along the way.
What is 21st Century Color?
- Integrated color explorations that connect science and art.
- Teaching the additive and subtractive mixing systems together as a foundational concept.
- Shifting from RYB (Red, Yellow, Blue) primaries to six primaries – RGB in light (Red, Green, Blue) and CMY in pigment (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
- Balancing objective and subjective areas of color study in ways that are relevant for each person.
- A experiential, hands-on, approach that intentionally combines personal explorations with guided exercises based on the latest discoveries in the art and science of color.
Prisms, LED’s, Polymer, and Computers?
In Smashing Color workshops the exploration of color starts with prisms and LED’s and moves on to polymer clay and computers. I use polymer for both my art and my teaching because it is color you can shape in your hands. Now that almost everyone has a way to play with light right at their fingertips, I use the computer to encourage students to get comfortable toggling between light and pigment.
What is Smashing Color?
- Opening eyes to the wonder of color in our world.
- Breaking apart the complexity of color into useful, age-appropriate, bits of information.
- Aiming for extraordinarily expressive and effective use of color. That’s smashing!
- Recognizing that everyone approaches color from a unique perspective.
- Encouraging students to supplement their instincts with knowledge.
- Smooshing colors together in polymer and on the computer to see what you get. Fun!
Who are the Color Explorers?
- Anyone who is passionate about color.
- Teachers who supplement traditional color theory with 21st Century Color.
- Artists searching for an authentic color voice.
- Designers discovering the most effective ways to use color.
- Parents who are not afraid to take their children into uncharted color territory.
- Everyone who is interested in enhancing their awareness of the colors in our world.