It’s all about Color.
Color is the thread that ties my worlds together. After years of splitting my time between architecture and art, I’m now having fun simply exploring color in my studio and teaching 21st Century Color to artists and educators. Learning about color is a lifetime journey. I’m thrilled to share my experiences and discoveries along the way.
What is 21st Century Color?
- Color explorations that take advantage of 21st century technologies.
- Integrated color studies that bridge between the latest discoveries in the art and science of color.
- Teaching the additive and subtractive mixing systems together as a foundational concept.
- Shifting from RYB (Red, Yellow, Blue) primaries to six primaries – RGB in light (Red, Green, Blue) and CMY in pigment (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
What is Smashing Color?
- Opening eyes to the wonder of color in our world.
- Breaking apart the complexity of color into useful, age-appropriate, bits of information.
- Aiming for extraordinarily expressive and effective use of color. That’s smashing!
- Recognizing that everyone approaches color from a unique perspective.
- Encouraging students to supplement their instincts with knowledge.
- Smooshing colors together in polymer and on the computer to see what you get. Fun!
Prisms, LED’s, Polymer, and Computers?
In Smashing Color workshops the exploration of color starts with prisms and LED’s and moves on to polymer clay and computers. I use polymer for both my art and my teaching because it is color you can shape in your hands. Now that almost everyone has a way to play with light right at their fingertips, I use the computer to encourage students to get comfortable toggling between light and pigment.