If you really want to learn about color - you must learn about light!
The United Nations has declared 2015 the International Year of Light and Light-based Technologies. I plan on celebrating all year long by learning as much as I can about light and sharing what I learn.
I think of all of you as my fellow Color Explorers and I invite you to come along as I venture deeper and deeper into the wonderful world of color and light.
Note: By EU law, all incandescent bulbs are to be phased out by 2016. Imagine that!
- Video introducing the International Year of Light.
- Beyond James Turrell: 10 More Great Artists Who Use Light as a Medium.
- Lyon Festival of Lights - It was on December the eighth 1852 that residents of Lyon first lit candles as a way of thanking the Virgin Mary for ridding the city of plague 200 years earlier. Now the annual festival in early December showcases the art of light at over 70 sites.
- GLOW - Every year, at the beginning of November, the city of Eindhoven in the Netherlands is lit up by artists who use light to bring the local architecture to life.
- Aurora Carealis - Starts tonight in Finland.
- Photo above by Bram Platel from the 2010 GLOW
- Color and Light by James Gurney - the best book on color for artists.